Sybil Craig was born in London but grew up and was educated in Melbourne and attended the Melbourne National Gallery School from 1924 to 1931. She later attended Design and Printmaking at Melbourne Workingman’s College in 1935.
Craig is a nationally recognised artist who, during WWII was an official war artist commissioned to paint the women and their work at the Maribyrnong Munitions Works. Seventy-nine works are held in the Australian War Memorial, Canberra.
Craig’s first solo exhibition, at the Athenaeum Gallery in 1932, included subjects ranging from still lifes to portraits. Accomplished in oils, watercolours and pastels, Craig also applied her talent for design to line-drawings for book-plates and emblems. She was a foundation member of the New Melbourne Art Club and, during the 1930s and 1940s, exhibited with the Melbourne Society of Women Painters and Sculptors, the Victorian Artists Society, and the Twenty Melbourne Painters. Between 1936 and 1951 she maintained a Collins Street studio and completed numerous seascapes reflected the time she spent on the Mornington Peninsula.
Her work was included in a range of group exhibitions in Melbourne during the 1930’s and 1940’s and she had solo exhibitions in 1932, 1948, 1978, and 1982 in various galleries, and in 1984 in the La Trobe Library in Melbourne. She is represented in many national and regional Art collections.