There were several people asking for this original recipe at our BBQ, so here it is for all to share.
Darling Lentil Burgers : makes a dozen big burgers or around 15 smaller rissole size ones.
You will need –
1 cup dark TVP “kibble” – available at IGA Castlemaine or health food store
500gm dried brown lentils
2 tspns vegetable stock – Massel powder is OK
1 cup tomato juice/puree
1 tspn garam marsala
Oil for frying (I use olive)
Wheat germ for coating
Small bunch shallots or onions finely sliced
2 cups dried breadcrumbs
1 tspn dried oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
- In a big bowl soak one cup of dark TVP (soy kibbles) with one cup of boiling water. Cover while lentils cook.
- Wash 500gms dried organic brown lentils and boil covered by 2cm vegetable stock in a large pot.
- When the lentils have been cooking for 25 minutes, remove the lid and add a cup of tomato puree or juice and a teaspoon of garam marsala. The lentils will take about 45 minutes to cook. They need to be soft but not mush. They will have absorbed the liquid. Set aside to cool.
- When lentils are cooled, add them and the last 5 ingredients to the TVP “kibble” in the big bowl.
- Form into burgers and roll in wheat germ.
- Cook in oil in frying pan, turning once after 10 mins.